Frieday Facts - the Tasty Taco
October 8, 2010In celebration of this weekend's Arizona Taco Festival I thought provide some quick stats on this American-adopted Mexican sensation.God, I love these delicious bites. According to Wikipedia the Taco predates Europeans where indigenous Mexicans served them up with fish -which is just how I like them. At the Bay area's La Corneta they make them fresh with salmon and a little bit of pico del gallo. Give me that bit of northwest flavor with south of the border sabor. Yum. You up north? Try Taco del Mar. I like the shack of a place in Seattle's Capital Hill. And who knew the fish taco was so traditional?Here's some other facts you might not know about this tasty treat:
- Bernal Díaz del Castillo documented the first taco feast enjoyed by Europeans, a meal which Hernán Cortés arranged for his captains.
- The classic "U" shaped taco dates back only to 1949 and originates from Santa Fe, New Mexico.
- Taco Bell serves over 2 billion tacos every year.
- Largest taco ever was made in 2002 and was 16 feet long.
- Indian Tacos (for your Burners out there who want to know what's up when heading to Burning Man) are made with fry bread instead of tortillas.